Friday, March 21, 2014

The Home Stretch

I spent a week in the US with Bobby earlier this month (after he visited me again!), and I knew that once I came back it would be the final 3-month stretch before I go home... net, for good. Inevitably, I've been reflecting a lot.

 This job is one where the learning curve is huge. You spend your first three months learning the ropes (and Creole), the second three finding what works for you, and then the last 6 months you're some sort of guru who knows all things Midwives For Haiti and is able to make really positive contributions.

You come into something like this thinking that a year is a long period of time. And in some ways, it is. But as Carrie told me to do, I took it in chunks. And now it's almost over. Although I'm really only 3/4 of the way through, this is the last bit. This is when I do everything I've wanted to while living in Haiti. It's time to visit all my friends' homes and families, it's time to see different parts of Haiti, and it's time to wind down mentally.

I hop on Davide's moto every day and sometimes I think it's crazy how you can get used to anything. Maybe it's just me. I think everyone assumes that life in Haiti is one big unbelievable ride, but I always say that living in Haiti is just like living in the United States, except everything is different. Sure, Haiti has changed me in ways. But in most ways, I'm still the same person, and it's that continuity that keeps me feeling the way I do.

*********

Two weeks ago, Midwives For Haiti hosted a gathering for all NGOs and individuals -- Haitian or otherwise -- involved in the building and maintenance of birth centers. It took place at the beautiful Hotel Montana in Petionville, the only wealthy suburb of Port-Au-Prince. The hotel was destroyed in the earthquake and beautifully rebuilt, towering atop a hill overlooking the tin huts below. There are homes in the valleys and all up the mountains of Port-Au-Prince. Though my amateur photography does it no justice, there was one section of the city colored brightly in pastels, standing out against the grey of the USAID tarps and the crumbling concrete. I wonder who lives there and what it's like to live there.

Cheryl Hanna-Truscott is a midwife and photographer who is spending 3 weeks with us. She's a well-known character at MFH, because her photography finds its way into our calendar, postcards, website, facebook, etc. She's really inspirational. She takes tons and tons of shots and they always come out incredibly. Though it's not difficult to see the beauty in Haiti, it is certainly difficult to capture it. I've observed her lots and become much more inspired. I intend to learn as much as possible on my own, but I'm really hoping to take a short photography class when I get home. It's just a matter of knowing what your tool can do! Expect to see a ton of her pictures once she's done editing and has sent them my way.

On Monday, our new class of students started. I feel particularly close to these women because I sat in on every interview. It's crazy how this program changes lives. It gives an unemployed auxiliary nurse not only more education and training in a highly-desirable specialized area, but it gives her confidence and support. They're a lovely group of young women and I sincerely hope I can come back for their graduation next spring.



Ina May is pregnant again and going through some major hormonal changes or something. Her usual meow has changed to a pathetic whine and it's adorable. She'll likely deliver before I leave, and I know I'll miss her a lot. Steve said I can't take her home with me, but at least I asked...

We decided to have a photo shoot in an unfinished
house project behind the compound.
I've spent the past two days laying in bed working solely on my job manual. Nadene wrote up a 2-page job description. Carrie expanded it to 12 pages, and then I added a bunch of notes. I'm expanding it and -- unfinished -- it's already at 36 pages. Today is the deadline for applications for my job. So far, we've got ~40 people interested. We'll see how many applications I get by tonight. It's so exciting that this job is becoming a competitive position! I can't wait to see which incredible applicant we decide to hire. I'm sure he/she will do things beyond what I could've imagined for this position.

And no, my involvement with Midwives for Haiti is long from over. I intend to attend board meetings and fundraisers and continue to help this remarkable organization keep up the work they're doing. I intend to stay in touch with my Haitian friends through facebook, phone calls, and yearly visits. You can't leave Haiti net, there's no possible way.

Back to the grind. I'll let you know when my job manual reaches 80 pages........