Thursday, July 4, 2013

What I'm REALLY in Haiti for

These are my babies at Azil, the feeding center. I visit several times each week (with the exception of this week, because I've been sick) and play with these little nightmares every single time. With the exception of the second photo, these kids are all the slightly older, healthier ones. Most have been at the center for a few months.

The little girl in the red is one of my favorites! Normally her hair is down and she has a great fro. The other day she was sick, so she was hiding under a bunch of cribs crying until I pulled her out and snuggled with her for a bit. She's normally one of the giggliest ones, and she's very ticklish.

This is Nicole Zickler, a volunteer who's here for 3 weeks with us. The boy in her arms had just arrived to Azil the week we visited, so he was very clingy and still pretty upset -- not to mention skinny!

Just a baby on the floor. I get such a kick out of their little flowered shorts.

This guy is a little older -- maybe 6 years old? He always tells me, "Gade!" ("look!") when the younger ones are fighting or crying. He talks to me, though I don't really understand him, and he's the sweetest of the bunch. When the little ones are tugging on my dress or pulling at my hair, he sticks up for me, haha.

So happy!

The girls always wear matching outfits, like these little blue gingham dresses.

You can't tell me that isn't a happy baby!

This is Mirline, one of the Haitian instructors who lives with me. She had only been to Azil once before, so I made her come with us, and she loved it! She was able to sing songs with the kids and talk to them, unlike many of the American volunteers.